Sunday 2 January 2011

A rest on Sunday

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come.


Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, Whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God I come.


Just as I am - though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears, within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come.


Just as I am - poor, wretched, blind-
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yes, all I need, in Thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come.


Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come.


Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now to be Thine, yes, Thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come.


Just as I am, of that free love
The breadth, length, depth and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above,
O Lamb of God, I come.

I find a place of quiet rest in a loving Heavenly Father who neither slumbers nor sleeps, who is the keeper of my heart.  He keeps my heart;  my hopes, my dreams, joys, sorrows, fears and confusions.... He made me, He knows me, He loves me through and through, just as I am, for who I am.  There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God.

Amidst all the doings of my life, it is the be-ing with this One that loves me dearest and best that keeps me, that sustains me, that causes my heart to overflow, with a love that I could never hope to possess on my own. He takes all that I am and am not, and freely gives of Himself.



"If there is anything that is a miniature picture of heaven upon earth, it is a pair of
Christians happily united, whose children grow up in the fear of the Lord, and render
to them increased comfort and joy every day. Oh, how much some of us owe to the
gospel for the happiness of our homes!"  Charles Spurgeon.


Holly Roast

This afternoon we are having a meal with my sister-in-law and her partner, a 30 minute drive away.  I've got a big gammon joint in the oven....



...and I'm making a delicious glaze for it.  (Apologies to any vegetarians!)  The recipe is called Holly Roast, but we eat it all year round.  It was clipped from an advertisement in a free Somerfield magazine, sometime in the mid 1980's, and is just as popular in our home now as ever.



Ingredients:

Danish Bacon Joint
4 tblsp. redcurrant jelly
1 tblsp. soft brown sugar
1 tblsp. wine vinegar
Juice of half an orange.




(Betty's Earl Grey Tea is not strictly required, but you may like to drink it while you cook, as I do!)  Wrap the joint in foil and roast in a pre-heated oven, Gas Mark 5, for about 30 mins per 500g plus 30 mins - I always add a bit more time.

Melt the above ingredients in a saucepan, bring to boil and cook until reduced by half.






40 minutes before the end of cooking time remove joint from the oven, cut off the rind, brush with the glaze and return uncovered to the oven, repeating glaze after 20 minutes.  Then let the joint stand for a little while before carving and serve.

Here is youngest son and sister-in-law enjoying our New Year feast.  We took the holly roast with us, and they very kindly produced a delicious salad to accompany the gammon.


And this is my sister-in-law with her partner.......




 A good time was had by all.  Hope your Sunday has been a good day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My meat-loving boys would love this! Thanks for sharing! Looks like you all had a lovely time too! :)

Jayne said...

Thank you Tina, it's well worth a try, I can recommend it. Tomorrow we're having the leftovers, which usually taste even better! x

Susan B said...

Hi Jayne,
Happy New Year! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I have always loved the hymn you shared. It looks like you enjoyed a lovely New Year celebration with your family. :)

My Cottage Diary said...

Hi Jayne, I'm so glad you've joined blogland because I can tell I'm going to enjoy your writing! I just began a blog in November myself. I've enjoyed it very much, but since I also work fulltime outside the home, I find I'm too tired to blog as much as I'd like to! I read Middlemarch last winter. The version I read was in two volumes, and I'd say by around p.700 it was a real page-turner! :o) I plan to read more of Eliot's books ... someday! Welcome to blogland! Bess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...