Friday 8 April 2011

The Faithful Word.




In these days leading up to Easter, I'm reading "Seeing and Savouring Jesus Christ" by John Piper.  He asks the question, how can we really know Jesus?  And Is the Bible reliable?

He explains that God opens the eyes of our blinded hearts to see the glory of Christ shining through His portrayal in the Bible.  We do not need to pray for a special whisper from God that Jesus is real.  We can look at the Jesus of the Bible with eyes of wonder, eyes wide open, and fill them with the full portrait of Jesus provided in the Bible.  As we read and see, the Holy Spirit opens the eyes of our hearts to see the self-evident brightness of the divine beauty of Christ.  When we see Jesus for who He really is, we savour Him.  That is, we delight in Him as true and beautiful and satisfying.  This leads us to honour Him, and to walk joyfully in the narrow way of love.

Reading this book is really helping me in my serious quest for well-founded, everlasting, love-producing joy.  Everything is at stake.  There is no more important issue in life than seeing Jesus for who He really is and savouring what we see above all else.

Today I sat in the sunshine and read the last dozen or so chapters of Luke's gospel at one long sitting, to get my heart into the message of Easter.  The resurrection never fails to fill my horizons with wonder and joy and hope and longing and gratitude.

Have a relaxing weekend my friend.

5 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I have been re reading Luke's gospel today also.Every time it shows me something new.

Pom Pom said...

A beautiful post, Jayne. It's so nice to hear from you.

Marion said...

Just popped over from Lynn's "All things Bright and Beautiful" blog. Very happy to find your blog and and come away from you with a book recommendation. I love Piper's writings and should still have time to read this before Easter. Thanks.
Marion

My Cottage Diary said...

Beautiful. And I'll make note of that book, too. Thanks! Bess

Sarah said...

I really enjoy John Piper, I've listened to a number of podcasts and read some of his writing online, though I've never read any of his books. This book sounds great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...